TOLES means ‘Test of Legal English Skills’. The TOLES programme consists of a structured course of legal English training materials supported by three levels of professional exams. The exam levels are progressive steps towards reaching the standard of legal English required by employers such as international commercial law firms, in-house legal teams in private companies and top-class translators.
TOLES legal English training materials and exams have been developed following the advice of experienced commercial lawyers. The top requirements of employers are excellent drafting skills, first-class negotiating skills and a strong sense of commercial awareness. As members of the International Division of the Law Society of England and Wales, TOLES is in an excellent position to support international legal professionals in achieving these goals.
TOLES Legal English Centre Georgia provides preparation course for the TOLES exams and is an approved test centre – the only authorized TOLES test centre in the Caucasus Region! TOLES Legal English Centre Georgia is part of and located at the University of Georgia.
The lead instructor is a native English speaker, a former practicing attorney from the United States, who is now a professor here at the University of Georgia.
The TOLES was designed to assist working lawyers; there are other English courses and exams which are more academic and more suitable for pursuing legal academic degrees. TOLES is designed to teach and assess an individual’s ability to communicate in the legal field at a professional level.
TOLES is favored by many law firms and other employers when selecting or promoting employees. The TOLES certificates in legal English are the most accurate and relevant that you can possess.
- TOLES was the first and is the ONLY international legal English examination. It is the undisputed market leader and has years of proven accuracy. The accuracy of the certificates has satisfied candidates, law firms and other employers.
- TOLES is 100% practical. It meets the needs of global law firms rather than being dominated by the theories of English language teachers. For this reason it is well respected by international law firms, who recognize its relevance, practicality and accuracy.
- There is no speaking element to TOLES. Law firms report that they are easily able to assess a lawyer’s oral English skills at interview. Law firms are looking for evidence of: good understanding of written contracts, strong drafting skills, accurate writing in letters, opinions and emails.
- As TOLES is designed as a practical, relevant exam for use by law firms, it contains no superfluous, contrived speaking elements.
- The TOLES series are no-fail exams. All students will receive a certificate and explanatory statement reflecting their ability in legal English.